Coordinating and collaborating on the full continuum of care
The Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network recognizes the need for high-quality and well-coordinated care isn’t over at the end of a hospital stay. That is why our Post-Acute Care team represents an aligned network of post-acute care providers who prioritize and deliver the highest quality care possible to those transitioning from the hospital to the next care level.
Patients discharged from one of our hospitals are presented with a continuum of post-acute care options based on their care needs – all of which meet our standards of inclusion, including achieving and maintaining a Quality Star Rating of 3 or higher from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Home care agencies
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Hospice care
- Palliative care
While patients and families have the right to choose any post-acute care provider, selecting a Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network provider ensures more seamless collaboration and communication among care teams, increased resources, and ultimately a better overall patient and care experience.
Benefits of a Preferred Network:
- Each Preferred Network facility is staffed with a BILH-affiliated provider, allowing patients an easier transition to the facility and enhanced communication with the care team.
- Preferred Network facilities coordinate discharge planning, including outpatient services such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, or a visiting nurse. This coordination helps to ensure a seamless transition from a facility to home.
- Clinical case managers assist patients during their stay and serve as points of contact to help navigate the continuum of care.
- Preferred Network facilities are regularly examined and assessed to ensure they meet our expectations and standards of care.
Three-Day SNF Rule Waiver Program
Most Medicare patients must stay in a hospital for a minimum of three consecutive days before Medicare will pay for a stay in a skilled nursing facility; this is called the Skilled Nursing Facility 3-Day Rule.
Some Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network patients are exempt from the Skilled Nursing Facility 3-Day Rule because they are part of the Beth Israel Deaconess Care Organization (BIDCO) Accountable Care Organization. Our BIDCO Accountable Care Organization partners with certain skilled nursing facilities that meet our standards to qualify to accept patients under the Skilled Nursing Facility 3-Day Rule Waiver.
The Skilled Nursing Facility 3-Day Rule Waiver Program aims to improve patient experience and health outcomes while reducing total medical expenses. By allowing qualified patients to be admitted to a skilled nursing facility directly from home or an emergency room, patients are able to more quickly receive the skilled services they need to be safely discharged home without the necessity of a hospital admission.